Ever since I started my quest for building muscle it has been rare that I eat a meal without protein. Beef, chicken, eggs/egg whites (lots of egg whites!), seafood, Greek yogurt, and very occasionally; protein powder. I don’t know about you but I prefer to eat my protein as whole foods since supplements don’t do it for me. I like to chew my calories not drink them.
It’s no secret, if you want muscles you got to eat your protein! And lift heavy weights of course 😉
I eat lean chicken every day – either for lunch or dinner since it’s very affordable. I’m known for making a big batch of chicken then freezing it in individual portions so that I can have at least one protein source ready to eat when I’m in a hurry. I like to grill it or make a big pot of chicken (Mr. Delish laughs every time I say a “pot of chicken” since I’m always calling “pot of something” when I can’t find a specific name to what I’m making :D) and I’m always looking for ways to give my chicken different flavors.
So when I found this recipe on Bon Appetite magazine I knew I had to try it. It’s low in fat, has simple ingredients, CHICKEN, and easy to make! I’m so glad I made it since it’s so good! Half way thru the cooking process I started to doubt the flavors of this dish (I like to taste my recipes while it’s cooking to adjust the salt & pepper as needed). It was a little bit bitter for my taste due to the white wine vinegar …. I was thinking I should’ve used less than what the recipe called for. To my relief the bitterness decreased towards the end of the cooking time, but I will use less next time (and adjusted that in the recipe I’m providing).
Recipe from bon appetit magazine
|Braised chicken with capers & parsley||
- 2 lbs of chicken breast
- 1 large onion, minced
- 4 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup minced flat-leaf parsley (plus more for garnish)
- 1/3 cup salted capers, soaked well in several changes of water
- 2 cups low-salt chicken broth
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar (original recipe calls for 1/3)
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Heat 2 Tbsp. oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion; cook, stirring often until softened, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer onion to a bowl; wipe skillet clean.
- Add 2 Tbsp. oil to skillet and increase heat to medium-high. Season chicken with salt.
- Add chicken to skillet and cook, turning once, until golden brown on both sides, 10-12 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to plate.
- Add reserved onion, 1/2 cup parsley and capers to skillet; cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in broth and vinegar. Add chicken with any juices.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste
- Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer until meat is tender. About 1 1/4 hours.
- Serve warm