Spicy Crispy Chickpeas

P I N_______I M A G E

Shine

Life is something we all share,
Just like oxygen, in the air.
The way we live it, is up to us,
With a negative or with a plus.

Life is something, we should cherish,
We never know, when we’ll perish.
Live each and every single day,
Smell the flowers, stop and play.

Life is something, we’ve been blessed,
Choice is yours, choose your quest.
Follow your passions, and you’ll be fine,
With the right attitude, you will shine.

~ by anita’s poems

P I N_______I M A G E

Did you know that chickpeas are an excellent source of zinc, folate and protein?  100 grams of plain chickpeas contains 164 calories, 2.6 grams of fat (of which only 0.27 grams is saturated), 7.6 grams of dietary fiber and 8.9 grams of protein. Chickpeas also provide dietary phosphorus (49–53 mg/100 g), with some sources citing the garbanzo’s content as about the same as yogurt and close to milk.

Recent studies have also shown that they can assist in lowering of cholesterol in the bloodstream. [source here]

P I N_______I M A G E

Spicy Crispy Chickpeas
Recipe Type: Appetizer, Snack
Author: Ana Frias
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 60 mins
Total time: 1 hour 5 mins
Ingredients
  • 2 - 15 oz cans chickpeas
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
  • kosher or sea salt to taste
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
  2. Drain and rinse chickpeas
  3. Place chickpeas on a baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes shaking the pan a few times throughout.
  4. Take out of oven and toss them with the oil, salt and chili.
  5. Bake for another 30 minutes shaking the tray a few times during this cooking time.

Share to Facebook|Pin Site Image|Tweet This Post|back to top
  • 10/13/2012 - 4:16 pm

Amanda - hi ana, yr website looks fantastic – like a professional cookbook! Def trying this recipe – love chickpeas.
    What are you doing now re fitness? any more comps? do you still train hard? i miss your fitness blog with yr videos but i guess you cant blog it all !!!!
    Amanda xxReplyCancel

• 10/15/2012 - 3:24 am

Angie@Angie's Recipes - I have always been a fan of chickpeas. These look scrumptious!ReplyCancel

• 10/15/2012 - 4:15 am

Cris - They look very tasty… I guess you used already cooked chickpeas, don’t you?ReplyCancel

• 10/15/2012 - 4:35 am

Chris - Now this is a great idea. I’m always looking for a healthier snack so I can avoid bad ones. Great blog.ReplyCancel

• 10/15/2012 - 6:12 am

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit - Yum, I just made curry baked chickpeas the other day as a topping for soup and it was absolutely divine!ReplyCancel

• 10/15/2012 - 9:45 am

Diana @ Eating Made Easy - These make a great snack – I love the kick in these! We have a similar recipe with the addition of pistachios here: http://eating-made-easy.com/2010/02/04/more-wintertime-snacks/ReplyCancel

• 10/15/2012 - 5:26 pm

Julia | JuliasAlbum.com - I love chickpeas! They make such a great snack, when cooked like this. Beautiful photography! Chickpeas are so simple, but you made them look beautiful!ReplyCancel

• 10/15/2012 - 8:50 pm

ana @ fit, fun & delish! - @ Amanada – Hi girl! Thanks for the compliment! I’m still doing weight lifting like I used to. I don’t think I’ll ever change that. I’ve been wanting to do a post about updating where I’m at and you just confirmed I should do it! Stay in touch!

@ Angie – Thanks! I love them too on soups and I may just add them to salads now. Thanks for stopping by!

@Cris – Yes, they were already cooked from the can. I guess you can cook your own but it takes forever to soak them… I’m too lazy for that lol!

@Chris! They’re definitely healthy. That’s why they speak to my heart :) Thanks!

@ Leanne – Oh curry on chickpeas sounds just delicious! I’ll add it to my list too. Great idea! Thanks!

@Diana – great blog! Thanks for the link :)

@ Julia – Awe thanks for your nice comment! I think they’re perfect for parties too.

Thanks for stopping by all!

xoxoReplyCancel

• 10/16/2012 - 10:50 am

Coffee and Crumpets - Spicy crispy chickpeas are delicious! I love the look of yours. Your pictures are beautiful as always.

NazneenReplyCancel

• 10/16/2012 - 12:15 pm

ana @ fit, fun & delish! - Thanks Nazneed!ReplyCancel

• 10/18/2012 - 1:48 pm

Emily - Can these be saved or do you need to eat them right away?ReplyCancel

• 10/19/2012 - 9:39 pm

ana @ fit, fun & delish! - Good question Emily. These are best if eaten within the first couple of days but they can keep fresh for up to a week in an airtight container in the fridge. Thanks!ReplyCancel

• 12/30/2012 - 2:29 pm

Nicole - Love these! just made them thank uReplyCancel

• 01/01/2013 - 10:00 pm

ana @ fit, fun & delish! - You’re very welcome Nicole! I’m glad you like them!ReplyCancel

• 01/27/2013 - 3:17 pm

Kelly - Just made these today, delicious!ReplyCancel

• 05/10/2013 - 11:35 am

Sallie - Thanks for posting this recipe. I have wanted to try these. I have a question though.

You stated above: Did you know that chickpeas are an excellent source of zinc, folate and protein? 100 grams of plain chickpeas contains 164 calories, 2.6 grams of fat (of which only 0.27 grams is saturated), 7.6 grams of dietary fiber and 8.9 grams of protein. Chickpeas also provide dietary phosphorus (49–53 mg/100 g), with some sources citing the garbanzo’s content as about the same as yogurt and close to milk.

How do measure 100 grams of plain chickpeas? Is this by volume or weight? I am trying to diligently watch my food intake and this is a snack I can see myself over-indulging in.ReplyCancel

• 05/10/2013 - 5:50 pm

ana @ fit, fun & delish! - Hi Sally, I use a kitchen scale to weigh my food when I want to be precise. I found mine at target for about $25. Not bad! Thanks!!ReplyCancel

Your email is never published or shared. Required fields are marked *

Rate this recipe: