The Holidays came and went and I never blogged about the so promised 12 recipes of cookies. What can I say about that? I made a few, took the photos and never found the chance to blog about them :(. 2012 was one heck of a year for me and I’m so happy that everything is back to normal….here is how it went down: I moved in with my back then fiance, got married, had a busy summer with work, went to Seattle, got super busy again with my photography business (while still working 40+ hours a week on my regular job), went to Paris and London, then the Holidays! Phew! It doesn’t seem like a lot and I’m sure most people do more than this in a year but for me that was one heck of a ride!
I love challenges and staying busy but I also love the stability of a predictable schedule. How about you? Are you a busy bee or just like predictability? I’m hoping that 2013 is less hectic but I can already see that it won’t be lol. I have many plans for this year already but at least they won’t involve moving and planning a wedding 😉
As I mentioned before, one thing I always make time for is the gym and eating healthy. That time is non-negotiable and other activities revolve around me going to the gym and planning healthy meals. I know many people start out the year with great intentions to be healthy so I need my first recipe of the year to be a healthy one. Don’t get me wrong, I had my share of indulgent recipes during the holidays and it feels great that those days are over and back to normal eating.
So here is my first contribution of the year. It only takes about 15 minutes to make and if you say you don’t have time to eat healthy that would just be an excuse! I bought a rotisserie chicken for this recipe so there was no cooking involved. Another option is to cook a bunch of chicken on the weekend, pack it in individual servings and freeze them. During the week you can use it to make recipes like this one, add it to your salads, stir fry, or just eat it along some veggies. The choice is yours 😉
- 2 Tbsp. minced fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp honey
- 1 cup cooked, shredded chicken (6 oz)
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels, thawed if frozen
- 1/2 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup diced avocado
- 10 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 6 Boston, Bibb or Romaine lettuce leaves
- Whisk together cilantro, lime juice, pepper flakes, and honey in a large bowl. Add shredded chicken, tossing to coat with dressing.
- Add corn, black beans, avocado, and tomatoes; toss gently to combine and make sure to avoid mashing the diced avocado. Season with salt & pepper.
- Spoon about 1/2 cup filling onto each lettuce leaf.
- (Per 3 lettuce wraps: 275 calories, 7g fat, 27g carb (9 fiber, 6g sugars), 27g protein, 3 mg iron, 63mg calcium)