This past weekend I met with some friends at a wine bar in Phoenix called Postino Wine Cafe. Before I dive into what we had to eat, let me tell you about how the thought of valet parking freaked me out! Prior to arriving at the restaurant, one of my friends texted me saying that the only option was to use the valet service unless we wanted to walk a lot (two more friends were riding with me). Suddenly I freaked out. Oh no! I didn’t wash my car! If I knew I would be doing valet I would’ve washed it! Dirty cars are not worthy of valet service if you know what I mean. I was wearing high heels so walking was not an option so here we go thru the valet service feeling so ashamed of my dirty car (honestly it wasn’t that dirty but it still wasn’t valet worthy). As I handed my car keys to the attendant, I heard myself apologizing to him like an insecure teenage girl. Why did I do that? He just gave me a big smile and said “no problem”. I wonder if hears that often or if it was just me. Anyway, next time I go out, not only will I research their food, I will also research the parking options! Or maybe I should just wash my car more often right?
Now let’s get to the food shall we? Postino’s most popular dishes are the bruschetta’s. The one that stood out the most for me was their Brie & Apples with Fig Spread bruschetta. The combination of sweet, salty & tart was perfect. I was determined to re-create (or at least come close to) that bruschetta at home. So I did
- 1 french loaf, baguette or similar italian bread
- 1 head garlic, cut in 1/2 crosswise
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Fig Spread
- Brie cheese
- 1 goldsmith apple (cut in very thin slices)
- honey (optional)
- Preheat oven on broiler setting. Place a rack approximately 6 inches from broiler.
- To make the bruschetta, cut the baguette into 3/4-inch slices.
- Place the bread in a single layer on a baking sheet. Broil for 1 to 2 minutes, until slightly brown for the first side and about 1 1/2 for the second side.
- Once the bread is ready, rub each slice of bread with the garlic and then brush with olive oil.
- Add a layer of the fig spread, cheese & apples.
- Drizzle with honey (optional)