A few weeks ago Mr Delish and I realized that we were tired of eating the same things on weeknights week after week after week…you know, we always defaulted to the same meals that we can cook in less than 45 minutes or so: American Tacos (the ones with ground beef and hard taco shells that you would never see in Mexico lol), spaghetti and meat sauce, grilled chicken and veggies, etc.
So we decided to add a few more dishes to our rotation. One of them is this delicious Sloppy Joes recipe that I found on food.com. Sloppy Joes is not a normal dish that I would eat since I didn’t grow up eating it. However, my husband is a Sloppy Joe snob and he can tell you when it’s a good one. Luckily this recipe is a keeper and now we’re hooked on it!
I used a very lean ground beef since I wanted to keep it as healthy as possible and also used low sugar ketchup in order to keep the calories down. If you’re watching your waistline just serve it a low calorie bun and a salad on the side. This is the perfect example of how you can transform a comfort food dish into a healthy but still full of flavor meal. Win win!
Recipe adapted from food.com
- 1 lb ground beef, 96% lean
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- ½ medium onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- ¼ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup barbecue sauce
- 1 tablespoon white or red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon firmly packed brown sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, brown ground beef.
- When the beef is half way cooked, add the celery, pepper and onion.
- Add the rest of the ingredients on a separate bowl and mix well (this is an optional step)
- When the beef is cooked all the way thru, drain the juices if any (I usually let it cook until all of the juice is gone. Since the meat is so lean it won't have much fat juice to drain)
- Add the liquid mixture and simmer covered for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cook until the meat has a consistency you like for serving on toasted buns