A couple of weeks ago, I decided to take Mr. Delish to a wonderful farm that we have right in the middle of town. More of that story will come in the next post where I’ll show the awesome photos I took there! For now, let me tell you about the salad I made with some of the yummy veggies we bought there.
We also bought the pretzel bread from the above image. I’ve never tasted such a delicious pretzel! So soft and flavorful. Okay, enough of that!!!….I’m getting hungry just thinking about it
When we arrived from the farm, the first thing I did was make a healthy salad. After being surrounded by so many veggies, you have no other choice than to be inspired to make something with them. I made something fast since I was hungry and knew I had to photograph it before I ate it (oh the life of a food blogger right?).
To make the salad you can use whatever veggies you have on hand but let me tell you, the combination of these two root vegetables (beets & carrots) along with that champagne vinaigrette was delicious! We tasted a champagne vinaigrette on our visit to the farm and I knew I had to recreate it. So here you go. I must say that the star of this salad is the vinaigrette. Enjoy!
- 2 bunches of trimmed beets, sliced in small chunks
- 1/2 cup sliced carrots
- 4 cups arugula
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- shredded parmesan (optional)
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup champagne vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- Place the beets in a medium saucepan and add water to cover. Add some lemon juice or vinegar. This will help to keep the beets from bleeding.
- Boil for about 15 minutes or until the beets are tender when sticking a fork into it.
- Drain the beets and let cool off for about 10 minutes.
- While the beets cook, make the vinaigrette.
- Once the beets are cooled, arrange all ingredients and toss with the vinaigrette.
- In a small bowl, combine mustard, honey and vinegar; whisk together. While whisking constantly, slowly drizzle in olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.