Hi Friends! We just got back from an almost week long vacation! I will keep this post short and sweet since I’m still in recovery mode from spending a day between airports and airplanes. Our vacation in Cozumel was amazing! It was everything we had hoped for. I will talk more about it on my next post as I’m still gathering all of my thoughts.
I’m one of those that LOVE breakfast and can have it any time of the day. This recipe can make a quick, easy and light lunch or dinner. The beauty of it is that it’s very flexible and you can substitute in your favorite ingredients. Instead of arugula (some people are not a fan of it), you can use spinach or even sautéed mushrooms. You can add different herbs to the ricotta mixture if you don’t have fresh thyme. I guarantee that rosemary will go great with the ricotta as well. I think next time I’ll add avocado too 😉
This recipe is from Cooking Light Magazine.
- 4 (2-ounce) slices whole-wheat country bread
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups arugula
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- Coat both sides of bread with cooking spray and toast until lightly golden using your preferred method (broil, toaster or grill)
- [b]Arugula mixture:[/b] Combine the arugula with 2 teaspoons oil, juice, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; toss gently.
- [b]Cook the eggs:[/b] In a nonstick saute pan over medium heat, add 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Crack eggs into pan and cook for 2 minutes. Cover and cook for an additional 2 minutes or until whites are set. Remove from heat.
- [b]Ricotta mixture:[/b] Combine 1/4 teaspoon salt, ricotta, Parmigiano-Reggiano, and thyme.
- [b]Assemble sandwich:[/b] On the toast add a layer of ricotta mix and arugula salad, top with cooked egg, add salt & pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately.