These Brown Butter Green Beans with Walnuts is a delicious side dish recipe that will sure impress anyone you serve them to. The combination of the brown butter and a bit of lemon juice makes it perfect for any time of year.
The new week is about to start and the first thing that comes to my mind is, what are we going to have for dinner this week? I’m not going to lie, juggling a full time job and cooking about three times during the week (not including weekends) can be a little stressful. You know, Mr. Delish and I have high standards when it comes to meals (ha ha) so we can’t eat “whatever”, so some planning is required. On Sundays we buy the groceries for a couple of meals, and we’ll wing it on a third one later in the week.
Luckily our repertoire has grown and what we choose from for weeknight dinners has become a little easier. We include two standard easy meals in our rotation and one we a try a new recipe. Whatever inspires me that day.
Green beans are always a good bet when it comes to side dishes (oh so good and nutritious!) and I think you should include them as part of your standard dishes. And if you were to have a dinner party I guarantee you would impress your guests with these brown butter green beans. If you want to fancy them up you could use pine nuts instead of walnuts. Sliced almonds would be another great alternative
Recipe adapted from Fine Cooking Magazine
- 1 pound fresh green beans, trimmed
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt
- Ground black pepper
- Fill a medium pot with water about 3/4 full. Add salt and bring water to boil over high heat.
- Add the green beans and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Drain the beans in a colander and return the pot to the stove.
- Add the butter to the pot and melt it over low heat.
- Add the walnuts and 1/4 tsp. salt, turn the heat to medium, and cook, stirring constantly until the butter browns. About 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat and add the green beans, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, pepper to taste, and lemon juice. Toss to combine.
- Serve warm.