One year ago we visited NYC & Upstate New York. Fall was just around the corner and you could definitely tell by looking at the trees starting to turn red & yellow. What a beautiful sight! While we were in Upstate NY, I went apple picking for the first time then had the most amazing homemade apple sauce made by mother in law.
This weekend I found myself longing for those days so I decided to make these Apple cupcakes to get my fix. I think it’s time we get ourselves in the fall mode don’t you think?
These cupcakes are light, very moist and delicious! The crunchiness of the streusel on top gives a very unique texture not found in your standard cupcakes that are covered with frosting.
Looking at the recipe below you may think it’s a lot of work but don’t get discouraged to make them. All the steps are very simple and they come together in no time. Give them a try! They’re so delish!
Recipe adapted from Cooking Light Magazine
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
- 3/4 cup finely chopped Gala apple
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter, chilled
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 4 teaspoons 2% reduced-fat milk
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place muffin cup liners in 12 muffin cups; coat with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, add the flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda and whisk.
- In the bowl of an electric, combine the sugar, cream cheese, and 1/4 cup butter.
- Beat with a mixer at high speed until well blended. Add the almond extract, vanilla extract, and egg to sugar mixture; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended.
- Combine the Greek yogurt and 1/4 cup milk in a small bowl; stir with a whisk until well blended. Combine apple and 1 tablespoon flour in a small bowl; toss well.
- Add flour mixture and Greek yogurt mixture alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat just until blended. Fold in apple mixture.
- Divide batter evenly among muffin cups.
- In a small bowl mix the 2 tablespoons flour, brown sugar, and ground cinnamon.
- Cut in the butter with a pastry blender or a fork until mixture resembles coarse meal; stir in almonds.
- Sprinkle streusel evenly over cupcakes.
- Bake at 350° for 24 to 27 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 15 minutes on a wire rack, and remove the cupcakes from pan.
- In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar and 4 teaspoons milk, stirring with a whisk.
- Drizzle glaze over cupcakes.