This year I’m hosting a large Thanksgiving dinner again and it’s also my busy season for my portrait work. This means I have very little time to be in the kitchen and my homemade meals (if any) must be easy and quick to prepare. Time is precious these days! This doesn’t mean that I’m going to skip my favorite meal of the week; Sunday brunch!! This was our breakfast yesterday and it was so delicious that it will definitely be part of our rotation.
The combination of the inside softness (from the banana) and the crunchiness from the outside makes the perfect texture in your mouth. Surprisingly this Crunchy Stuffed French Toast is not overly sweet and the hub and I ended up adding a little syrup for extra sweetness.
Did you know that National French Toast day is coming up on November 28th? Well now you know! And you also know what recipe to use to celebrate 😉
Recipe slightly adapted from Post Foods (I used french bread instead of challah bread and raspberries instead of strawberries. It turned out amazing!)
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1-1/2 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 cups Great Grains Banana Nut Crunch
- 8 slices challah bread, (if you can’t find challah, french bread will do) 1/2 inch thick
- 2 oz. bittersweet baking chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 large banana, sliced
- 2 cups sliced strawberries (or your preferred seasonal berries)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Beat eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla and salt in large shallow dish with wire whisk until well blended; set aside.
- Place cereal in resealable plastic bag; seal bag. Crush cereal with rolling pin.
- Dip both sides of the bread slices in egg mixture; place on clean work surface. Sprinkle evenly with chocolate; top with bananas.
- Dip both sides of remaining 4 bread slices in remaining egg mixture; place over bananas to make four sandwiches. Press together gently.
- Coat both sides of sandwiches with cereal crumbs; press crumbs firmly into sandwiches to secure.
- Place on baking sheet.
- Bake 20 to 25 min. or until lightly browned. Cut diagonally in half. Serve with the strawberries.