Chicken Tinga is a classic Mexican dish made with shredded chicken, onions, potatoes, chorizo and an adobe-tomato sauce. You’ll love this version as all these ingredients make the perfect flavorful combination.
Today’s post is super short since my schedule for the past few days has been crazy! Too much going on to even begin to tell you. But it’s all good stuff….very good things happening in the Muy Delish household. More about that later
All I know is that I HAD to share this recipe with you! I’ve been meaning to do it for a long time but every time I made this dish, we ate it so fast I never had a chance! Poor Tinga :). So last Sunday was my opportunity again. Yes! I finally did it.
If your schedule is crazy like mine or you feel like making something easy, then this recipe is for you. I use rotisserie chicken to save time but you’re more than welcome to use your own cooked shredded chicken. The Tinga versions I usually see at restaurants don’t have as many ingredients as this one. Usually they miss the chorizo & potatoes but you’ll be surprised how much better this Tinga tastes because of these two ingredients.
Oh and it’s such a versatile recipe too…. it can be served on tostadas, you can make tacos, and even tortas. Mmmmm… I think I’m making tortas next time
- 1 medium-large russet potato, cubed
- 100 grams beef chorizo (1/2 cup)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (use if the chorizo is very lean)
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 2 chicken breast, cooked & shredded
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 chile chipotle, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 avocado for garnish
- shredded lettuce for garnish
- Tostadas or corn tortillas for serving
- In a small sauce pan, add 2 cups of water and cook the potatoes until they’re soft. About 10 minutes
- In a large pan, cook the chorizo. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan where you cooked the chorizo, if there is not enough chorizo fat left, add the 2 tablespoons of olive oil and heat over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and cook until soft. About 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken, chorizo, broth, tomatoes, chile chipotle, salt & pepper. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and simmer for another 2 minutes or until potatoes are hot again. If needed, add more salt & pepper according to taste.
- Serving suggestions: Use it for burritos, tortas, tostadas, or corn tortillas for tacos.
- Top with avocado, lettuce, queso fresco, and/or hot sauce